ABOUT THE CENTRE
With the opening of Belgaum centre, Karnataka owns its 7th Indira IVF clinic and India owns its 98th Fertility centre.
Like all the other Indira IVF centres pan India, we are equipped with world-class technology and state-of-the-art infrastructure at Belgaum centre too. We cater for a host of infertility treatments like IVF, ICSI, Laser Assisted Hatching, Cryopreservation, IUI, Blastocyst culture and transfer, Laparoscopy, Hysteroscopy, donor programs etc.
Over the past few years, 85000+ successful IVF cycles have been performed across 97 IVF centres pan India with a record IVF success rate.
In the cases of infertility, the techniques of assisted reproductive technology (ART) available to a couple are numerous, but the most frequently used is In vitro fertilization (IVF). Let’s focus on one of the most effective techniques: In vitro fertilization by Intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI IVF).
Let’s know how the process of IVF ICSI is carried out at Indira IVF Belgaum centre?
What is ICSI IVF?
As part of natural fertilization, sperm passes through the uterus to the fallopian tubes. One of them penetrates through different layers that protect the egg to fertilize it, which leads to the formation of an embryo.
In the case of IVF, sperms and eggs are collected from both male and the female partner respectively, and they are met in vitro, outside the woman's body. A few days after fertilization, when the egg fertilized by a sperm has become an embryo, it is reintroduced into the woman's body, stated Dr. Deepak Shetty (Centre Head, Indira IVF clinic in Belgaum).
ICSI IVF (Intracytoplasmic sperm injection) - During this in vitro encounter, a sperm is injected directly into the egg using a microscopic needle to facilitate fertilization, confirmed Dr. Deepak Shetty (Centre Head, Indira IVF centre in Belgaum).
When to undergo ICSI IVF?
The ICSI IVF technique can remedy cases of male infertility, especially when the sperm has abnormalities. Concretely, here are some cases in which fertilization by ICSI may be recommended:
- Azoospermia : obstructive or non-obstructive;
- Oligoasthenoteratospermia : insufficient sperm, mobility problems, shape problems;
- Men who have had a vasectomy;
- Infectious disease or infertility caused by immune factors (presence of anti-sperm antibodies in particular);
- When the sperm samples are of a limited quantity, this technique makes it possible to optimize their use (chemotherapy treatment, absence of sperm in the ejaculate, retrograde ejaculation, etc.).
- It is also often recommended in the event of failure of other IVF techniques or, more precisely, of ART. For this reason in particular, it may be useful to refer from the start of the process to a second medical opinion in order to begin as quickly as possible according to the infertility situation, said Dr. Deepak Shetty (Centre Head, Indira IVF, IVF treatment in Belgaum).
How does ICSI IVF work?
After all the required check-ups and tests done, Ovarian stimulation will have to be performed to collect sufficient oocytes .
A semen sample is prepared with the most suitable sperm, whose fertility has often been activated. Sperm sometimes need to be collected during an epididymal puncture if there is an obstruction to the excretory tract, or a testicular biopsy, stated Dr. Deepak Shetty (Centre Head, Indira IVF clinic in Belgaum).
At the end of these two processes, the embryologist will have both the gametes. He will be able to carry out the phase called ICSI: he will introduce a sperm into one of the eggs obtained. To maximize the chances of success, this process is performed on each of the eggs obtained, shared Dr. Deepak Shetty (Centre Head, Indira IVF Test tube baby centre in Belgaum).
Finally, if fertilization has worked, the embryologist will eventually choose the best embryos to transfer one of them (or more) into the maternal uterus while the others will be vitrified for later use, explained Dr. Deepak Shetty (Centre Head, Indira IVF, IVF cost in Belgaum).
IVF ICSI: what are the risks and benefits?
The main advantage of the different IVF techniques is their particularly high success rate compared to other ART techniques. However, it is important to be aware of the risks associated with IVF (with ICSI or without ICSI):
- During treatment, hot flashes, abdominal pain and bleeding are common in the patient;
- Hyperstimulation or ineffectiveness of ovarian stimulation are two possible risks;
- Multiple births (due to the transfer of several embryos);
- Premature delivery and hypotrophy of the child;
- Ovarian cancer (exceptionally)
As with other ART techniques, a second opinion can have an important role for couples wishing to carry out a parental planning with regard to the choice of the most suitable technique among others, in view of their personal situation, the advantages and the risks.
If you, your partner or anyone you know is suffering from infertility and searching for the best IVF doctor in Belgaum or the best fertility clinic in Belgaum, then visit our newly opened fertility clinic and get the right treatment for all your infertility problems.
Gynaecologist and IVF Specialist
Infertility is on the rise not only in India as well as all over the world. As the world faces challenges due to infertility, need for quality care as...